Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Why would you want to run 50 miles?

The first question that most people ask me when they hear that I'm training for a 50 mile race is "Why?". There was a time when I was in those same shoes. Back when we first started running, I went searching for every resource I could find about running. I wanted to improve as quickly as possible. I found many online sites that had great articles. The best resource I found anywhere though was a podcast about ultra running.

When I first listened to UltraRunnerPodcast, I was averaging 4-5 miles on my runs and struggling. I started downloading and listening to these interviews. I was immediately hooked. I was getting first hand knowledge on all aspects of running from a huge range of people. The guys at URP have done an amazing job of recording hours and hours of interviews with front runners, new runners, old timers, race directors, nutritionists, and doctors just to name a few. Within a few hours of their podcasts, I was mesmerized. How could these people run for hours and days at a time? What we're they doing that I wasn't? How far can I push my body? These are questions that built inside me.

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Why do we run 13.1 and 26.2 miles for the half and full marathon? Have we for years been putting mental boundaries on how far and how long we should be running? If you believe you can run further, can you? I believe you can. This is why I am taking this journey. To test myself.  The growth and lessons along the way are just pure bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment