Thursday, February 13, 2014

Choosing my first ultra

While training for my first marathon a year ago, I started searching for ultras in Florida. It made absolutely no sense to look into running my first ultra at or with elevation. Especially when 100% of my training would be flat. Most of which would be on roads for that matter. I was surprised at how many ultras I found in Florida. One of which, Dances with Dirt Green Swamp, was taking place within two months and was only an hour and a half drive. We decided to volunteer at the busiest aid station to take it all in.

The day ended up being amazing! It was so cool to see runners 12,24,37, and then 46 miles into their run. Everyone was so appreciative of us for being there. "Thank You!" was the phrase of the day. They have a wide variety of distances so we got to see runners running everything from a 10k up to a 50 miler. Part of their volunteering perks is a voucher towards a future race. It worked out perfectly. We got to experience and be in the midst of the ultra while saving money towards a future race. 
Crystal and Josh setting up Traffic Jam aid station. Green Swamp, FL 2013

I highly recommend volunteering at an ultra even if you just have an interest in exploring what the world of ultras is all about. There is so much that one can take away from the experience.

A year later, here we are 3 weeks away from the same race. This time I will be the one saying "Thank you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment