Almond Crusted Eggplant Parmesan With Zucchini 'Pasta'
Although this lovely dish does takes some time to prepare, I usually double the recipe to make sure there is plenty for leftovers. When the hubby is craving protein, I will also roast a few chicken breasts in the same sauce, topped with cheese to make the meal more hearty.
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1hour 20 min
1 Large Eggplant (Sliced 1/2 Inch Thick)
2 Large Eggs
1 -1/2 C. Almond Meal
1/4 C. Grated Parmesan
1 tsp. Dried oregano
1 tsp. Dried Parsley
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Paprika
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 Medium Zucchini
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-26oz Jar of Spaghetti Sauce or homemade version
1 C. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together.
3. In a larger bowl, combine the almond meal, Parmesan, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, paprika and salt and pepper.
4. Dip the eggplant slices in the egg mixture and then coat with the almond meal mixture. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 45 to 60 min, or until just brown and crispy.
5. While the eggplant is baking, prepare the zucchini. remove the ends and thinly slice lengthwise on a mandolin slicer.
6. Place sliced zucchini in a 9 X 13" baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 min or until tender.
7. When zucchini and eggplant are both done, layer the eggplant slices over the zucchini, cover with spaghetti sauce and cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and starting to brown and the sauce is bubbly, 15 to 20 min.
8. Allow to cool slightly before serving and add protein of choice if desired.